Q: 07 BMW 328xi pre LCI, HID Conversion causing lamp errors and red car on lift notification

Hi Everyone, I just installed the Kensun HID conversion for my low beams on my 2007 E90 and have run into some issues. I bought the lights as well as their error canceller/flicker stopping capacitor.

I got them installed and they look great but now when i turn on the car, the light warning for both lights appears as well as the red notification that looks like a car on a lift. I have a cheapy code reader and didnt see any codes. The light notification appears immediately and the red lift notification appears after about 2 minutes. Any ideas what is wrong? Doesnt seem to have any issues starting or driving or anything.

I was told the footwell module has a short circuit counter that will disable the specific circuit if it hits a certain amount of startups with the detected short. Am I triggering this with the above symptoms? Waiting for a relay to come in but want to make sure i dont kill the module.

A: It's getting harder and harder to do mo...

It's getting harder and harder to do modifications to a car, even minor ones without causing other issues. The lighting module is clearly not seeing the levels that it expects to see when it powers up the lights. Many accessory companies have developed different devices to attempt to fool the modules, but since the modules are now communicating with each other via a digital stream, any odd signals can throw the whole system into chaos. If your accessories plugged right into the harness without any wire modifications, it may be possible to reprogram the lighting module to recognize the HID lights. But that operation could only be performed with the computer equipment that is used by the dealer and BMW specialty shops. If part of your installation involved cut and splice operations, it's hard to imagine that you will be able to get the module to accept the changes. It may help to have another pair of eyes on the problem. By contacting YourMechanic, you can have a technician come to your home or office to inspect your headlights and render some practical advice.