Q: I have a hard start(long cranking) problem when the car is warm 1996 Chevrolet Impala

The car starts right up in the morning if its cold. But if its warm or damp, it cranks then eventually starts. once started, it runs great but i only travel about 7 miles to work so i don't know how it would do on a long trip. I've had recent work done to it but i had the problem before the work. Recent work includes, timing chain, crank sensor(3x), transmission seals,distributor(3x),torque converter,ignition control module(3x),ignition coil(2x),coolant temp sensor. Fuel pressure was checked and it checked at 40-45lb for at least 5min. I checked the regulator for fuel discharge and did not see any fuel. I did smell fuel but don't know if that was because i wanted to smell fuel so that i can blame the regulator. I'm stumped and can't figure it out. Can you please advise

Hi there - first step is to check for problem codes, whether the Check Engine light is on or not. I suspect you still have a fuel pressure problem when it’s hot. Check fuel pressure while starting cold, while it’s running, shut it off, then while it’s sitting (hot), and during a re-start attempt. I suspect it will be low when re-starting, then slowly come up to pressure. This could be the fuel pressure regulator, but also the fuel pump or fuel pump relay (burned contacts). I recommend a hard starting inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

• I have a hard start(long cranking) problem when the car is warm 1996 Chevrolet Impala