Q: Car keeps overheating. Making a steam noise. Coolant cartridge runs out about once a week.

asked by on November 02, 2016

Car is now starting to overheat. coolant runs out from bottom about once a week.

Coolant is leaking Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

You will need to trace the leak and repair whatever the issue is. To trace a cooling system leak, the best way is to run the car and watch for the leak. The most common places for a leak are the hoses, the radiator, or the water pump. In extreme cases, the water passages in the engine block can leak if there is damage or a crack. This is rare. Check the more common areas for a spray or steady leak, as the amount of coolant you are losing is a lot. If you can not find the source of the leak, dye can be added to the coolant and traced with a special bulb. You will want to have this fixed ASAP. Overheating is the number one way to destroy an engine. Be very careful with the change of seasons to not use water if you are in an area that freezes this time of year.