Q: My car broke down on me and I check the fuse box and the fusible link had blown so bad that it blew the top off the fuse.

What will cause that to blow so bad?

A: Hi there. From the description you have giv...

Hi there. From the description you have given, it must of been the main fuse that blew, causing your vehicle to break down. Your vehicle’s main fuse is a high amperage fuse, it is capable of carrying a large electrical load. The short that caused the fuse to blow could have created enough energy to blow the top off of the fuse. It could be, a direct short in the alternator, that caused the failure. Sometimes, electrical shorts are difficult to isolate. Replacing the fuse without identifying the cause, will result in another blown fuse. I recommend your vehicle’s fusible link had blown so bad it blew the top off the fuse be diagnosed and repaired by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.