Q: Advice on buying a scan tool

Do you know any scan tools that are bi-directional that do ABS and other OBD functions and have a built-in scope under 500 bux. Anything close you can think of.

No, I can’t think of one that would go for under 500 dollars. If you are talking about the ones that are bi-directional and have a built-in scope, these things start at 1,500 up to 12,000 dollars. For the scopes, you can get a used one, it’s cheaper. To be honest, I wouldn’t even mess with that on a scan tool.

However, if you are looking for a cheap alternative, shop around for Autel Maxi. They have cheap scanners that are capable of doing ABS and some bi-directional stuff. If you go to a place like Harbor Freight Tools you can even find coupons which will make them go for around $8.50. For the price they do quite a bit of stuff. The scanner uses Chinese software and there are no directions. So you’ll have to figure out how to operate the machine yourself. That being said, I use it all the time and it works quite well.