Q: Serpentine belt is rubbing on the engine cover at the belt tensioner pulley 2004 Hyundai Tiburon

The serpentine belt is making a chirping noise because of friction caused by the belt rubbing on the side of the engine cover, where the belt tensioner is. I was having this problem so I replaced the belt tensioner and the adjacent pulls with new ones, which fixed it for one drive. I started it up today and when I went to accelerate, it got loud and so I stopped, popped the hood, and saw the same problem as before. I can do the work myself but I don't know what needs to be fixed. The pulleys on either side of the tensioner are the crankshaft pully (below) and the alternator (left side). Thank you very much, Griffin

Serpentine/Drive Belt Replacement $95.44 - $301.27 Get a Quote

Hi there - I would start by doing a visual inspection of the serpentine belt, and the pulleys - are they visually in line? If not, which pulley is out of line in the direction of the engine cover? Are there bushings on the alternator mount which have softened, and are allowing the alternator to "give" such that the serpentine belt is close to the cover? The crankshaft pulley is not likely moving at all. Is the cover where the rubbing occurs coming loose, and moving into the serpentine belt? For assistance, I would recommend a serpentine belt replacement by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.