Q: When I make a sharp turn I hear a grinding like noise coming from the hood of my truck ddo I need to replace power steering pump

When I make a sharp turn both reversing and forward, there is a grinding sound that can be heard from my hood. Someone said it's the power steering pump bottoming out. I don't know what that means. Do I need to have my power steering pump replaced?

Hi, thanks for writing in. The first thing to check is the level of your power steering fluid. Is the fluid full and in good condition? If the pump is worn out, or has been run dry, it may need to be replaced. If the fluid is low or empty, refill and test drive the vehicle. Keep in mind if the power steering fluid is low, that means you likely have a leak in the system somewhere. Tracing that leak should be relatively easy to do, but you may need to be under the vehicle to complete a visual inspection. If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.

• When I make a sharp turn I hear a grinding like noise coming from the hood of my truck ddo I need to replace power steering pump