Q: Car starts up but stalls and the traction slip symbol comes on. What can cause this?

I started up my car one day and while stopped at the red light my car shut off so I put the gear in parked and started it up again. Then it shut off again at a stop sign it kept on until I made it home. I bought and installed a brand new battery but the car still starts up and cuts right back off and also the traction slip light is on. What can cause this problem and how can it be fixed?

My car's transmission is unknown to me.

Hi there. Remove the battery cables and let the vehicle sit for about 30 minutes with no power. Then hook up the battery cables and turn on the key. Let the vehicle sit for about 1 minute. This will allow the ECM (computer) to register all the sensors and get a beginning reading. Then press on the throttle pedal slowly to the floor and back to the rest position. Turn off the ignition key and turn it back on. Start the engine up and see if the engine shuts off or stays on. If the engine shuts back off, then there could be an issue with the fuel pump or the security system. If the traction control light comes back on, all you will need to do is drive the vehicle around for about 1 to 2 miles and the light should go out as the ECM relearns each sensor. If you need further assistance with your vehicle stalling and the traction control light on, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

• Car starts up but stalls and the traction slip symbol comes on. What can cause this?