Q: Q: Air conditioner not working

My air conditioner is not working. I think I might have a leak. I do know that my AC system has been contaminated by R12 and 134A being mixed together, so I may need my system evacuated.

Hello. Since R12 and R134 have been mixed into the refrigerant system, there is a good chance that the mix of the two types of refrigerant could have caused damage. They use different kinds of oil, and can cause coagulation if mixed. Since the two have been mixed together, most shops won’t even repair the system because the gas is now contaminated and is not recyclable. Due to the age of the components and contamination, there is a good chance the complete system will need to be replaced and converted to R134 for proper operation. I would have a mechanic inspect your AC issue to see exactly what next steps should be taken.

3. Q: Air conditioner not working