Q: What Specialty Tools Are Needed for Servicing Engine Hoses?

What specialty tools are needed for servicing engine hoses?

A: You need a minimal number of tools to servi...

You need a minimal number of tools to service the hoses on your vehicle.

The very first thing you need is a container to hold all of the coolant that you will drain from the cooling system of your car. Do not just let the coolant drain to the ground; it would eventually contaminate the groundwater supply. Engine coolant is considered a hazardous material and must be disposed of in a manner prescribed by law. The best way to dispose of used coolant is to take it to a recycling facility (auto parts store, hazardous waste collection site, etc.).

You will also need either a pair of slip joint pliers or a 1/4" ratchet with socket to use on hose clamps. Which tool you use will depend on what type of hose clamp you’re dealing with.

You may also need a hose removal tool. This tool is inserted under a hose to break the seal between the hose and its connection.

Of course, the best tool to use on engine hoses is an expert’s hands. Let YourMechanic be the ones to get dirty, (replacing those nasty hoses)[https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/radiator-hose-replacement]. We’ll worry about disposing of the hazardous material afterwards, so you don’t have to.