Q: The vehicle sputters and hesitates after being started on humid days.

asked by on February 21, 2017

The vehicle sputters and hesitates after being started on humid/rainy days. Engine light will come on and blinks. Once the engine is warmed up it stops having the issues and runs fine and the engine light turns off. If its not humid or rainy the issue does not happen at all. After looking it up online it appears many people have a similar issue but they vary as far as how to remedy it. Any info or advice would be helpful.

Hi there. Depending on where you live, the introduction of humidity in the air will also affect the air pressure around your vehicle. Higher altitude areas are impacted greater when barometric pressure changes. When air pressure is affected, engine vacuum is also affected. The engine’s positive crankcase ventilation system relies on engine vacuum to function properly. If the engine vacuum is not sufficient, the PCV system may not work properly and allow the engine oil to reach the air filter. If the engine oil reaches the air filter, this can saturate the air filter and cause oil to be drawn into the throttle body with intake air. If this happens, the engine will burn oil and therefore have a misfire. I would recommend having your air filter and PCV system checked out to determine if any issues are present and start from there.