Q: Car makes a "humming" noise when I try to start it

When I try to start my car, it hums but doesn't turn over. I've heard that you can take a hammer and tap a certain part to jump start the car. Is this true and if so, where do I tap?

A: Hello. If you were to tap anywhere, it woul...

Hello. If you were to tap anywhere, it would probably be the starter solenoid, which has the main power wire attached to it, although it is not likely that tapping the starter solenoid will start the car.

It sounds more likely that you will need to have the starter replaced. If you need help replacing your starter, contact a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.