Q: Car lost power due to computer glitch

asked by on August 25, 2016

I was driving around 25 mph when my car completely lost power. The low-oil pressure warning came on. I had to have the car towed to the dealer where they diagnosed it. They reported to me that there is a glitch in the computers which triggered a false warning light. They said that is what caused the loss of power. They could not fix the failure. Please explain what this means and how can my car be fixed?

Oil Pressure Sensor Replacement $89.83 - $411.13 Get a Quote

I don’t have the exact repair information for your vehicle since it is so new. My guess is, however, the powertrain control module (PCM) is sensing low oil pressure when it shouldn’t be. This could be because of a problem with the oil pressure sensor or the PCM itself. When the PCM detects low oil pressure it will disable the fuel injectors to prevent engine damage. I’m not sure why the dealer can’t fix this for you. I would insist they make it right or take your complaint to the corporate level.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr