Q: how many camshaft positioning sensors and location?

asked by on December 25, 2016

Erractic idle trouble codes CSP sensor

Camshaft Position Sensor Replacement $104.59 - $809.88 Get a Quote

Hello. Your vehicle should be equipped with four different camshaft position sensors, one for each of the engine’s camshafts. They are mounted in the front of the cylinder heads, near the camshaft actuators, across from each other. The sensors should be visible by removing the engine covers, the uppermost sensor being the intake camshaft position sensor, while the lower the exhaust camshaft position sensor, again with this setup on both sides of the engine. If you suspect that the camshaft position sensors may be having an issue then the first thing I would do is check the wiring and connectors going to them. Also keep in mind that an erratic idle can be caused by other things, such as a faulty idle air control valve or mass airflow sensor, though starting with the camshaft position sensors may be a good idea if you are getting an error message related to them. If you are uncertain about which camshaft sensor too look at, or how to test them, then I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, visit your location to determine which, if any, of the camshaft position sensors need to be replaced.