Q: How do I check and top off the washer fluid?

How do I check and top off the washer fluid?

Washer fluid is necessary for cleaning your windshield. While using the wipers in the rain will help, road grime, gunk, dirt, debris, insect remains and other buildup may not be removed without washer fluid. Here’s what you need to know about checking the level and refilling the washer fluid:

1. Turn off the engine.

2. Open the hood.

3. Locate the washer fluid reservoir. It’s on the very left, front corner of the engine compartment.

4. Check the level on the side of the reservoir. It should be between the full and low marks. If it’s at the low mark or below, fill it.

To fill the reservoir:

1. Remove the cap.

2. Insert a clean funnel.

3. Add washer fluid (either straight or mixed) until it reaches the full mark.

Tips

• Never use the washers if the fluid is low or empty, as this can burn out the pump.

• Never use anything other than washer fluid in the reservoir.

• Tailor the washer fluid mix to the season – straight washer fluid has alcohol, so it will withstand lower temperatures.

• Don’t spill washer fluid on a hot engine. The alcohol can ignite.