Q: 72 Chevelle cranks but won't start and has to be flooded but smell no gas

asked by on April 17, 2017

My 72 Chevelle hasn't been started about 18 mths, carb was sticking open like full throttle last time I started it. It sits much more than driven almost 27 years. I got a rebuilt battery, cranking good,, a guy pours gas into my carb to start it and it cranks but won't start, maybe for a partial second a few times. I told this guy i did not want to dry start it after not being started for so long and that was all he did and concluded it was the fuel pump. I let it set a few days then went to start and still cranks but don't start so I decided to pump it to flood it and I smelt no gas, So maybe fuel pump or should I look to my carb. or ignition???

This car is in good shape but I only get it out and drive it every few years on avg, The carb is a 4 brl but unsure of make or anything.

Thanks, Julie

Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Gasoline is generally not usable after 3 to 6 months. If gasoline has been stored in the vehicle for a lengthy time, the problem is likely that there is just simply nothing to combust. The volatile components in the gas have evaporated and other compounds in the gas have turned to varnish and gum, possibly plugging up the carburetor. If the tank was drained though and the fuel in the fuel system is fresh, please simply request a no start diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will pinpoint the cause of the no start condition. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.