Q: Fuel gauge

I put petrol in my car as the gauge was near red . I put petrol in £15 worth and after I paid and drove off I noticed the gauge hadnt moved . If the petrol went in and the gauge stuck then I would still be able to travel on the fuel I put in . The fuel light lit up after 10 miles . Is it possible that the fuel line at the petrol forecourt actually gave me fresh air instead of petrol ?

Fuel Gauge Sender Replacement $125.41 - $1062.69 Get a Quote

Hello There, What you are describing is an indication of a faulty fuel tank sending unit. The fuel tank sending unit is a small float type component (or sensor) inside your fuel tank that measures the level of the fuel inside the tank. As the fuel level drops, this change is detected and relayed in the form of a signal to the car’s computer which then displays the reading on the fuel gauge in your dash. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and repair your fuel sending unit.