Q: My 2001 ML 430 Mercedes Benz ran out of gas I put gas and now it does not want to start

asked by on December 26, 2016

My Mercedes Benz ML430 ran out of gas I put gas and now it does not want to start cranks but won't start

Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. What happened is the fuel system got air in it causing a vapor lock on the injectors and the pump will not pick up the fuel due to the air bubble in the fuel system. First, make sure that the fuel tank is full or near full. Then make sure that the fuel cap is sealed tight. Then locate the test port on the fuel rail and hook up a test hose to the port without a gauge on the engine, but rather the other end in a bucket or bottle. Then turn on the key a couple of times to cycle the fuel but do not start the engine. This will prime the fuel rail and release 90% of the air bubbles. Then when fuel is coming out in a solid stream, remove the line from the test port and turn off the ignition. Turn on the ignition to on and wait for about 30 seconds then attempt to start with the accelerator pedal about half way to allow more air into the engine for a hotter start. This will force the engine to hesitate and cause it to start up. Keep on the throttle until the engine is running normally. Let the engine idle for about 10 minutes before shutting it off. Then shut off the engine and restart the engine to make sure that it starts right up. If you need further assistance with starting up your engine after running out of fuel, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.