Q: Transmission shifts early

When I go WOT sometimes the transmission will shift early going from 1st to second. It does it sometimes not every time and it's only when I'm WOT or close to it. The transmission was rebuilt at around 180000 and haven't had any big problems just want to prevent it from going out again. I'm planning on changing the fluid to see if that does anything plus it's a little over due. Do you think that will stop my problem? Or what should I do?

A: Hello. If the fluid is really dirty and if ...

Hello. If the fluid is really dirty and if its integrity is broken down then it can affect the shifting. There are also other parts of the transmission control that can cause this. It can also be caused by a bad sensor on the engine such as the throttle position sensor. Most of the time this sensor is the problem. I usually check the computer for codes first. This will tell me if the computer is seeing any problems. Then I would use my scan tool to monitor the sensor readings, such as the throttle position sensor, to make sure it is correct. Most of the time it will have spots that are not reading correctly that will cause this. If that is also fine then the transmission circuits and pressures will need to be tested to see if this is the result of an internal transmission failure. If you want to have this late shift problem checked, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair this.