Q: Can't get out of Park w/o manual release 2007 BMW 328

asked by on November 20, 2016

Firstly the autobox will not shift out of park unless I use the release button under the cover so I guess there is a power issue here to start. Could this issue cause the e90 330 automatic to not change gears while driving as well. Please can though advise here and what to check.

Hello - I would check your brake light switch and the fuse for the brake lights. If you have no brake lights, the brake switch has likely failed, preventing the shifter from leaving the Park position, without the manual override. This is one of the shifter interlock safety functions. Also, the shifter interlock solenoid may also have failed. I would recommend an inspection of the shifter to confirm this diagnosis by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.