Q: Oil indicator light on

My BMW has 88,000 miles on it. The low oil indicator has been coming on regularly. I took it to the dealer and they said it had no leaks and that it was normal. Now the indicator came on just after 22 days and 522 miles of normal commuting. It seems like I am losing oil quite rapidly. I hope it’s not a sign of something else being wrong. Please let me know what you think. Thank you.

I think that one of two things could be happening with your 2007 BMW 750 Li. The first of which is that you may be burning oil. If you are burning oil, you would see bluish white smoke coming from the exhaust and there would also be an unpleasant smell coming from your vehicle.

The second and most likely of the two options would be a faulty oil level sensor. I would recommend having your oil level sensor inspected for wiring damages and tested for proper function if necessary.

If the oil level switch turns out to be faulty, replacing the oil level switch will likely resolve your issue. If you are burning oil, your engine will need a complete overhaul to prevent this issue from happening anymore. If you need help pinpointing the fault, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your Oil Indicator Light and let you know what needs repair.

3. Oil indicator light on