Q: Transaxle makes a loud grinding noise when you accelerate

Hi, I own a 2003 Chevy Impala. The trans axle is making a loud grinding noise. The faster you go, the louder it gets. I know that it is not the wheel bearings because I changed them, along with the axles and the cb shaft. Do you know what the problem could be?

Grinding sound from transmission Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Of course, first check the fluid level to be sure it is not low but if you are already hearing significant noise, there is probably mechanical damage that will have to be repaired. The problem has to be evaluated during a transmission noise diagnostic in order to give you a conclusive finding. However, on your particular model, if the noise is coming from the transmission there are a couple common causes. One is a failure of the input carrier and the sun gear which sits within. If the failure has progressed far at all, if the pan is removed you will see metal debris. The differential could also be worn to the point that the gear teeth in the differential become pitted and chip. If these faults in fact exist, the transmission has to be removed and rebuilt which is not a big deal on this vehicle inasmuch as this is a very common transmission and is in widespread use.