Q: 2 yrs old and needs a tranny???

I bought the vehicle new. The transmission has failed. Should I ask for a new car? Should I make sure the new transmission is not rebuilt? Isn't this situation ridiculous for the year and mileage of the vehicle?

While it not a common thing to have a low mileage transmission failure, it does sometimes happen. It may not necessarily be that the transmission failed as a unit, but a specific part may have failed and the factory recommendations are not to pull the transmission apart to replace it, but simply replace the entire transmission as a unit. Ask your service department whether the transmission is rebuilt or new but even if it is rebuilt, it is a factory rebuilt unit and not from a local transmission shop. Whenever a part - any part - is replaced under warranty, the defective part is returned to the factory. The powertrain warranty is 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first. The warranty will remain in place whether the transmission is new or rebuilt. NOTE: The warranty does not start over on the transmission no matter if it’s new or rebuilt. The powertrain warranty still expires at that 5 year or 60,000 mile point. Something that may be worth a try is to contact Subaru customer service. Explain that you are uncomfortable that the transmission had to be replaced at such low mileage. Maybe they will offer you a warranty extension. MAYBE.

3. 2 yrs old and needs a tranny???