Q: Ticking noise in engine does it need valve adjustment??

I'm looking into buying a 350z and the owner said it makes a ticking noise and may need valve adjustment. How much will it cost me and is that the real problem?

Hi there. The valves make a ticking noise as they wear, and in order to do any kind of valve adjustment you would need to have the valve clearance checked. If it needs adjustment, then the valve lash adjuster (also called a valve lifter) would need to be replaced. This is a major repair and depending on how may valves are in need of adjustment, your costs may rise close to or more than $1500. The labor for a valve adjustment in manual calls for 13.8 hours labor plus parts. If you are serious about the car, have a certified technician from YourMechanic conduct a pre-purchase inspection in order to have this corrected.