Q: Driver's side CV joint noise

Hello, I have a 2010 Lexus RX350 with approx. 70,000 miles. Just lately, I've noticed a substantial click sound from the drivers side CV joint area when shifting from Park to Reverse and Reverse to Drive. It also will click every time you release the brake pedal and accelerate from a dead stop. However, it does not show the typical symptom of clicking when turning from stop to stop and there is no noticeable vibration at any speed. The boots are bone dry and there are no tears indicating lube leakage. With the wheels removed I can grab the inner portion of the joint where it enters the transmission, rotate the shaft forward and backwards within the freeplay limits and hear a distinct click sound. Comparatively, the right side has the same amount of freeplay but hardly any click sound is audible. Does this sound to you like a bad CV joint or could this be deeper inside the transmission?

Thank you, Kurt Morris

A: Hi there. The sound is more like a differen...

Hi there. The sound is more like a differential sound that is making a click sound. There seems to be too much free play on the gear train inside the transmission. This is determined by only the sound occurring when going from drive to reverse and back to drive and also when stopping and accelerating but not turning. It is rare, but check the inner joint to the cv shaft and see if there is excessive play. If there is, then the cv shafts need replaced in a set.

If the CV shaft is good, then the transmission thrust bearing and thrust washer under the differential has too much wear and is causing the differential to have more gear lash than normal. If you need further help with your vehicle, then seek out a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, to assist you with the click noise when driving.