Q: My car is making a ticking sound and the check engine light is coming on then i'll put it in park and it feel like is about to stall out.

asked by on March 17, 2017

I was driving my car today and it was making a ticking sound coming from the hood so i pulled over and as soon as i pulled over the check engine light popped on then while i was in park the car was shaking like it was about to stall and break down

Hi there. The ticking noise could be a lifter tapping on the top of the engine or a connecting rod bearing in your engine loosing oil pressure. Check the engine oil level and see if its low. If the oil is very low, then there may not have been enough oil in the engine to lubricate the moving parts causing the noise. If the oil is full, then the lifter could be sticking or the connecting rod bearing could be moving causing the piston to hit the cylinder head making your engine shake. I recommend seeking out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you diagnose your engine tapping noise if your engine oil is full.