Q: Car key loose in the ignition

My battery is in good condition, with no corrosion present. The car key wiggles in the ignition, and doesn't crank the engine on every attempt. The problem is slowly getting worse. It does not seem to be the starter. I do think it is something in the steering column. I have found that if I press the brake pedal really hard and jiggle everything, including the steering wheel, and then attempt to start the car, it has a better chance of cranking. Finally, the car makes a ticking sound in the engine area when you attempt to start it.

A: There is a common problem with the batterie...

There is a common problem with the batteries on that car that will cause the engine not to crank. You need to have the battery load tested to see if it has enough cranking amps to crank the car. A clicking noise is a sure sign of a dead battery. Your battery may have enough power to run the lights and everything, but not enough cranking amps to turn the motor over. A technician from YourMechanic can come out and load test the battery, and pull the codes on the computer to determine what is causing the car not to crank.