Q: Acceleration problems, car shaking and check engine light on

My car with the automatic transmission occasionally hesitates to shift when I try to give it gas and accelerate. It sounds as if it is running at high speeds even though it is only 10 mph. Inspite of my mph decelerates, the RPM is changing, increasing and decreasing. Sometimes the car runs fine. I tried to give it gas, then step on the brake to test how it works. Then it happens that the car shakes and the check engine light comes on. These problems usually occur when I press the gas hard and take off fast or when I try to accelerate from 50 mph to higher speeds.Speedometer also doesn't work correctly. It sometimes shows no speed while I am driving. What could be the problem?

A: Hi there. There are a few different things ...

Hi there. There are a few different things that can cause this. It can be the fact that the speedometer is not working due to a bad transmission speed sensor. This can cause the computer to not know when to shift the transmission. I typically start by testing and replacing this sensor.

If the issue persists, then the transmission needs to be checked. It sounds like you may have an internal transmission failure that is starting. The internal pressure need to be checked to see if there is an internal clutch failure. If you need to have the vehicle looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair your car’s hesitation issue.