Q: Why is my car making this clicking noise when accelerating past 40

asked by on September 29, 2017

Got a tune up the other day. Replaced icm as well. All coils are sparking. New ehrvalve. New fuel filter. Engine sounds strong as ever. Revs like it should. I’ve been having acceleration problems last 2 weeks. Now after my car got worked on. New fuel filter, egr. If I slam on the gas when I get to 40. It made this clicking noise. This was right after. Then I stopped driving. And started again. Next time I did it. (Got to 40) it reved to its limits like when it’s in park. Hitting the red. That’s what it seemed to be doing but it was driving. If I let off the gas it’ll go back to normal and speed up past 40 normal. Now if I didn’t start off smashing the gas and kept the pedal about half or 3/4s down. It’ll go past 40 no problem. And and go to 50-60+ kinda slow. So it’ll be a test getting on the freeway. I bought a new throttle sensor placement. But haven’t installed it yet. Could this be it ? Or what

Car is stalling Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi Boom. Thanks for contacting us tonight. Sometimes when a vehicle runs fine until it reaches 40 mph, the problem is in the ECU, or ignition timing department. When multiple services are completed, it’s possible for error codes to be created that can activate a speed limit or "limp mode" (which is typically reserved for transmission issues). It’s probably best for you to have a professional mechanic complete an onsite inspection, as there are literally dozens of possible sources of this type of problem, guessing would not be the best way to resolve the problem.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr