Q: Transmission slipping and rough shifting - 1990 Toyota Cressida

When I drive and start accelerating, the transmission begins slipping out of gear. The engine has difficulty picking up speed. The shifting is also rough. What might be the problem?

Hello, thanks for writing in about your 1990 Toyota Cressida. The transmission is most likely the issue in this case. The fluid level and condition need to be checked. If the fluid level is extremely dark or exhibits a burnt smell this may indicate an extremely worn clutch packs in a worst case scenario. A transmission service where the fluid and filter are replaced may also correct the issue especially if the transmission has not been recently serviced. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic to check the fluid level and condition in order to diagnose the slipping problem and rough shifting.

3. Transmission slipping and rough shifting - 1990 Toyota Cressida