Q: Radiator not holding water

My car won't hold water in the radiator. I also have water leaking from the tailpipe.

This is a common issue. Many of the radiators installed in vehicles are aluminum cores with plastic water tanks. There is a gasket that seals them together. Over time the gasket fails and water starts to leak from between the core and the tank. The issue is repaired by replacing the radiator. This is something that should be repaired to avoid overheating the engine and causing further damage. One of the by-products of overheating is a blown head gasket. This is what people fear sometimes when they see water coming from their exhaust. Don’t panic, it is common for some water to come out of the exhaust. It is usually just condensation. If it was coolant it would come out in a vapor form and look a lot like white smoke coming out of your tailpipe. The vapor is produced when the water goes into the combustion chamber of the engine and get burnt along with the fuel. Seek the help of a properly trained technician, such as one from YourMechanic, to help you determine if the radiator is the only thing that is leaking.

3. Radiator not holding water