Q: Troubleshooting the fuel pump

I replaced the fuel pump about 2 years ago. I had to remove the intake manifold to replace a broken check valve and a broken vacuum chamber which were located underneath the intake manifold. After reinstalling the intake manifold, I had a no start situation. I checked the plugs to make sure I had fire to them, which I did. I took the fuel line loose at the injector rail to check for fuel supply. Nothing comes out with the key in the on position, but a little gas comes out when I turn the engine over. Before I drop the gas tank, I was wondering if gas shouldn't be coming out with the key in the on position.

Hello - qualified "yes" on this. The fuel pump should run for at least a second or two to pressurize the fuel system. I recommend double-checking fuses for the fuel pump and the engine management computer, the fuel pump relay (best to check voltage coming out of the relay when it is operating. Engine management may not be turning on the fuel pump for some reason as well - check the fuel pump relay to be sure it’s getting "signal" voltage to turn on power to the pump. For assistance with this problem, I would recommend having a car is not starting inspection completed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.