Q: My car will not crank and has a yellow exclamation point on the dash.

asked by on December 19, 2016

335i 4door automatic bmw has a yellow exclamation point in dash ,everything turns on in car but when pressing key to start nothing happens .this is after car ran out of gas but I later put 5 gallons and recharged battery still no crank.headlights blinking when pressing start button.almost two months ago replaced fuel pump on driver side although I continued to smell a hint of gas afterwards but not as strong as before it was replaced.also the no key light shows in dash when key is in range as if it is not.Could this be my no crank issue? Also there was a skip before the no start issue like bad gas but I only use premium.my battery is charged but car doesn't crank ,I press start and here a click and nothing happens.

Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. There seems to be a couple of things that are not functioning. First the battery seems to have a low power and possibly a burned cell. Also, the fuel system may have air in it due to running out of gas. This can cause the pump to not pressurize the system making the engine not start. Check the battery with a load tester and make sure that it can hold a load. Check the fuel rail for pressure and bleed the system if there is very little pressure or it is jumpy on the gauge. If you need further assistance with your no start condition, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.