Q: I have a 2004 Mercedes Benz ML350.

asked by on March 23, 2017

I have a 2004 Mercedes Benz ML350. The BAS/ESP light is on and the Check Engine light. I just bought the car and knew it had the ESP/BAS light on, but soon after running a diagnostic at Autozone, the Check Engine light came on as well.

I can tell that the brakes need work. Other than the brakes, and a blinker being out, the car runs so amazingly well. The diagnostic stated a small leak in the VAP System potentially caused by faulty vent solenoid, purge control solenoid, or fuel tank pressure sensor. The question is, where do I start?

Thank,

Kathy Blessing

Hi there. Check the brakes and the wheel speed sensors to see if the are damaged or worn causing the ESP light to come on. A worn brake pad can cause the ESP light to come on as the wheel does not slow down with the other wheels.

For the Evaporative Emission Control system, the purge solenoid can stick causing the system to not vent properly. Check the lines to the solenoid and the harness to the solenoid. If the lines and wiring are good, then the solenoid may have failed.

For the check engine light being on, check to see what codes are store or pending that would help with the troubleshooting on the issues with your vehicle. For the turn signal light being out, check to see if the bulb is burned out. If the bulb is good, then check the fuse in the cab.

If the fuse is good, then the multi-function switch may have a fault within it causing the light to not work.

If all of the turn signal lights do not work, then check the flasher and see if it’s clicking. If the flasher is not clicking, then it would need to be replaced if there is power to it when the switch is active.

If you need further assistance with your check engine light and warning lights being on, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.