Q: Car is not starting despite trying to jump start it.

asked by on November 27, 2016

Ever since its become colder out, my car has difficulty starting. It struggles it seems but always eventually started after a few seconds. Today It would not start. I had it jump started and nothing. The lights, fans, radio etc works. It clicks once when i turn the key but nothing happens after that. I did have to replace my battery a couple winters ago. I dont know what is wrong? can you help me? Im desperate!

Thank you! Dan

This sounds like you may have a faulty starter solenoid. When components like this are on the verge of faulty, often times a drastic change in temperature may cause them to act up a bit more. The starter solenoid is located on the starter and has internal electrical contacts that transmit electricity to the starter. When this fails, it may cause a clicking sound and will not allow the starter to engage the flywheel when you turn the key. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your home to diagnose your starter.