Q: The car will not crank but makes a light clicking noise.

The car has a idle air control that is starting to go out so every so often it will die while driving. That being said it died while I was driving it and then would not restart. It will not crank at all just the power comes on and I can hear the fuel pump run but no crank at all. I read about the neutral safety switch the other day and tried to start it in neutral but still no luck. After trying to start it in nuetral it will make a kind of clicking noise under the hood but still no crank at all. I'm thinking it is the neutral safety switch, the starter, or the ignition switch.

When you hear a clicking under the hood instead of the starter, I immediately think of the battery voltage. It could be that the charging system is not working and you drove the car until the battery voltage dropped off. Now there isn’t enough power to start it. I don’t recommend jumping it off. I field too many questions from people who did serious damage to their cars when they made what seems like a minor mistake. Instead I recommend you contact your mechanic about a service call at your home. they can send you a trained technician to check out you no starting issue and let you know just what can be done about it.