Q: LED lights and radio, air stay on and drain battery

asked by on May 12, 2016

My car seems to have a battery drain issue. After I lock my car, the red interior light on the door lock buttons and the hazard light stay on, along with the air control and radio on the console. The dome lights go off just fine, but the LEDs all stay lit. My driver's door only unlocks with the key - the remote stopped working on that door, even though all the others unlock just fine. A few times, I have parked my car for a few days, and the battery has gone completely dead. My mechanic tested the battery, and it's fine, but they're seeing a 3.15A drain. If I pull the radio fuse, it helps extend my battery life. What might cause my radio, air lights, etc, to stay lit up after the car is off and locked?

Parasitic draws can be difficult to pinpoint at times. If the door lock is only working with the key, it sounds like the most likely cause is the door security control not working properly. The vehicle waits for all doors to be shut and the doors to be locked before shutting off all systems and going to sleep. A qualified technician, like one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose your battery drain and perform any repairs that are required.