Q: Speedometer quit working

asked by on February 17, 2016

The speedometer quit working on my Alero and a diagnostic says it is the instrument cluster. I can't get a new one because Oldsmobile is out of business and I don't rust ordering a new one. How easy would this be to fix?

Speedometer is not working Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

The speedometer operates in correspondence to the speed sensor on the transmission. If all the other gauges are working on the dash then I would start by looking at the speed sensor on the transmission. The sensor generates a signal to the computer and moves the speedometer based on that signal. When the sensor goes bad it will stop the gage from working. I would recommend having a technician from YourMechanic come out to perform some tests and diagnose your speedometer.