Q: Car alarm keeps going off in 2000 Range Rover

The anti-theft system is locked up and the remote fob is broken. The alarm keeps going off and the car won't start because of that.

Range Rovers have an emergency key access procedure to disarm the alarm with the mechanical key if the remote fails to do so. It requires that a 4-code key be entered into the vehicle by turning the key in the door lock. The doors and hood/trunk lid need to be closed and the key turned in the following order. To enter the first digit, turn the key the required the number of times to the unlock position. To enter the second digit, turn the key the required number of times to the lock position. To enter the third digit, turn the key the required number of times to the unlock position. To enter the fourth digit, turn the key the required number of times to the lock position. The code for North American Range Rovers is 1515.

You will want to get a new key fob as this procedure will wear out your lock cylinder if it becomes common practice. If this procedure does not work then you may have a bad body computer or door lock assembly. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will be able to diagnose and recommend repairs.

3. Car alarm keeps going off in 2000 Range Rover