Q: I’m trying to losen the crackshaft pulley on a 98 Nissan Maxima which way to I turn it to losen it?

asked by on March 03, 2018

I’m trying to losen the bolt on the harmonic balancer. Which way do I turn?

Turn the bolt counterclockwise while using the Nissan special service tool (or equivalent) to securely hold the central portion of the balancer. Be sure not to hold the outer circumference of the balancer or the pulley as that will damage the balancer as you remove the bolt. On installation, you must use the special service tool as well. On reassembly, you must use a calibrated torque wrench to install the balancer bolt to the exact torque value published in the service manual. The torque value is critical. If you need assistance from a certified mechanic, please request harmonic balancer removal/installation service. If you request that service, the responding certified mechanic will assist you right at your location. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.