Q: 1997 Chevrolet Metro won't start won't turn over

My Metro LSI is making strange sounds when I try to start it. When I installed a new water pump it started to make humming scraping sounds when I put the key in the ignition and turned it. My car doesn't seem to fire. And I didn’t have any problems starting it before my old water pump broke. I had my starter tested and it’s in good shape. Do you know what might be causing my car not to start?

Hello. It sounds like the timing belt is not in time and if the timing is off, the engine will not start. When replacing the water pump, the timing belt must be removed and this could affect the timing of the engine. It will need to be set to DTC for it to start. If the engine is an interference engine, and the timing is off when the car is started, this could bend the valves. I would suggest that you have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, come and check your engine compression to be sure there is no damage to the valves.

3. 1997 Chevrolet Metro won't start won't turn over