Q: I am putting a lot of oil into my car between changes

asked by on November 05, 2015

I'm getting quite concerned with the amount of oil I am having to add to my 2007 Honda Pilot in between oil changes. I now add a full quart every 2,000 miles or so. This can't be good! I am at 98,000 miles now so my car might be on its last leg. Should I just keep adding oil until it dies and needs to be replaced?

The oil recommended for normal use on your Honda Pilot is 5w20w. There are other owners who have also experienced excessive oil consumption on these vehicles. If you are using only one quart every 2,000 miles, this could be considered acceptable to Honda Motor Company. Your oil consumption could be caused by oil getting past the valve seals or oil control rings on the pistons. An oil consumption test will have to be done to determine exact amount of oil being used. The test will be conducted by your dealer. If oil usage is excessive, then further diagnostics would have to be done such as checking to see how oil is being used. The test should start with checking for any oil leaks, then checking all crankcase and air filters which may be in need of replacement. The test starts with new oil and a filter change, then scheduled visits back to the dealer after a set amount of miles, like 1,000 or 2,000 miles, to see how much oil was used by refilling back to the full mark. If excessive oil usage is found, then your dealer can give the next steps in the repair process. I recommend you check the oil being used at your next oil change and verify that it is of correct viscosity. Also check to ensure that the oil was filled to full mark after running the engine and rechecking that the level is full. You could also check your owner’s manual for recommended oils to determine if a heavier weight oil is listed, like 5w30w. This could help you use less oil if it is listed for your vehicle. Do not use heavier oils if not listed in your manual or are not manufacturer recommended.