Q: Permanent fix to steering wheel lock issue

asked by on October 25, 2016

I got the car to start earlier today by tapping the steering wheel lock control module with a screw driver. But I'm afraid of it locking up again, especially of it happening to my wife when she has the car. I want to know if I can just remove a fuse to prevent it from locking up again.

Hello.

You can indeed disable the steering lock system by removing the fuse, however you would need to get the vehicle started before doing so. The steering wheel lock system uses an actuator that moves back and forth to lock and unlock the steering. If the fuse for the system is pulled when it is in the unlocked position, then it will not be be able to shift into the locked position. Usually this problem will begin to occur when the steering wheel lock control module begins to fail, and will usually get more frequent over time, until the vehicle no longer starts. In most cases the module will have to be replaced in order to correctly repair the issue, however pulling the fuse will get the car to start. A diagram of the fuse panel where the fuse is located will be found in your owner’s manual; the fuse you are looking for should be labeled "steering lock." If you would like help, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to inspect your steering lock issue and make the necessary repairs.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr