Q: Reduced Engine Power and Truck won't start. PLEASE HELP ASAP! Thanks!

We started up the truck and the Reduced Engine Power light came on. This allowed us to drive about 2 miles going about 10-15 mph! We went over a few pot holes on our 2 mile drive and the car was switching gears and locking and unlocking the doors by itself. When we reached our destination we shut off the truck and it did not start after that point. The battery is at 12 volts. We checked fuses and jumped the starter and then it turned over but it never fired. Please get back to me asap:)

Hello, thank you for writing in. The reduced power light will either trigger when there is malfunction with the vehicle and it is trying to protect itself, or when the engine actually suffers a loss in power and is struggling to run. Either way if any warning lights illuminate, you should have the vehicle scanned for diagnostic troubleshooting codes. This can be done by a technician or at most of your local automotive parts stores. The battery does very little to help run the vehicle once it is started (which is its primary function). You should be more concerned with your alternator and its performance. Your fuse box, and body control module are both capable of failing and causing these issues. These are less likely and should be kept in the back of your mind if you need to go there. For more diagnostic help, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

3. Reduced Engine Power and Truck won't start. PLEASE HELP ASAP! Thanks!