Q: Quantity of atf fluid for the transmission

In small accident my ATF fluid coolant was impact so I got to change it . But the problem was that i have no idea about the quantity of ATF fluid was inside so now I am about to change the ATF fluid and I am looking for the proper amount of fluid should I put in

A: Hello. If your ATF dipstick has marks on it...

Hello. If your ATF dipstick has marks on it, you can use those marks as a guide to re-fill it. The marks may designate "cold" and "hot" fluid levels. Best to check it cold, and then check later after a SHORT drive (maybe 10 miles if 85 degrees outside). ATF fluid expands quite a bit when HOT so you don’t want to check fluid level when it is really hot after driving say 40 miles at 65 MPH, because you will get a false reading. Be very careful to NOT overfill ATF fluid as that will cause the fluid to become air entrained (filled with bubbles), which will ruin its lubricating and hydraulic properties in the transmission. Add small amounts (ounces) as you near the full mark (or range) on the transmission oil dipstick so you don’t have to drain fluid. If you would rather have a local expert take care of this, a qualified professional from YourMechanic can service your transmission fluid at your car’s location.