Q: Rusted subframe and rack & pinion, leaking struts - worth fixing?

asked by on March 01, 2017

I just found out today my 2009 Jeep Patriot Limited has a rusted subframe and rack & pinion, as well as leaking struts on the front right and back left. Repair costs are estimated to be more than $4,300. That's about what my car is worth right now. Is it safe to drive for awhile, or what suggestions would you have?

Brakes, Steering and Suspension Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

You must have been driving in some extreme conditions to have so much rust that it needs a new subframe. If the only thing you need is a couple of struts and a rack,then it would be worth it to do the work, but if the car is really so rusty that it needs a subframe, I don’t think I would put the money into it. Of course, sitting here at my desk it is impossible for me to say whether the car is safe to drive, but I believe a second opinion is in order. If you contact Your Mechanic, you can have a technician come out to your home or office to inspect your car and let you know what it’s going to take to sort it out.