Q: Rusted subframe and rack & pinion, leaking struts - worth fixing?

asked by on March 01, 2017

I just found out today my 2009 Jeep Patriot Limited has a rusted subframe and rack & pinion, as well as leaking struts on the front right and back left. Repair costs are estimated to be more than $4,300. That's about what my car is worth right now. Is it safe to drive for awhile, or what suggestions would you have?

You must have been driving in some extreme conditions to have so much rust that it needs a new subframe. If the only thing you need is a couple of struts and a rack,then it would be worth it to do the work, but if the car is really so rusty that it needs a subframe, I don’t think I would put the money into it. Of course, sitting here at my desk it is impossible for me to say whether the car is safe to drive, but I believe a second opinion is in order. If you contact Your Mechanic, you can have a technician come out to your home or office to inspect your car and let you know what it’s going to take to sort it out.