Q: Battery replaced, fuel gauge stopped working

Due to the very cold weather, the battery on my car stopped working correctly so I had it replaced. After that, the fuel gauge quit functioning. It just stopped moving. How can I fix this? I would like to do it myself if possible. Thanks.

Hello. There are a couple of reasons that would cause the fuel gauge to stop working. The most common reason is that the fuel level sending unit has failed and is not accurately reading the fuel level. The fuel level sending unit is attached to the fuel pump itself and the entire fuel pump will need to be replaced to repair this problem. Another reason that may have caused the fuel gauge to stop working is if the circuitry of the needle in the instrument cluster has failed and this is causing a false reading. If this is the problem the necessary repair would be to replace the entire instrument cluster. Since this problem could be caused by a number of things, it would probably be a good idea to consult with a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, who will be able to pinpoint the problem. They can provide this inspection at your home or office.

3. Battery replaced, fuel gauge stopped working