Q: Car will crank, doesnt stay running

asked by on October 15, 2016

I checked the car with a code reader and it read out p0107. I followed the steps to test the map sensor and the voltage decreases with vaccuming and increases when let off. If the sensor is good should i replace the wiring harness that connects to the sensor cuz i noticed that one of the prongs was pushed down, not sure if theres a good connection or not. I did check the middle wire and it read 5 volts what else could the problem be a leak in the vaccuum hose or ? Well theres one thing i haven't tested and thats the ground wire, not sure if its 12 volts or not. Please help

Hello and thanks for your question. Ground wires will not have a voltage on them. Preform a resistance check on all of the pins to the harness plug. There should be resistance for the computer, high resistance for the power, an no resistance for the ground. If there is bent pin or the prong was pushed down, try to push the pin or prong back up. Do not break the prong. Then reconnect the harness to the sensor and remove the ground cable to the battery to clear the codes. Reconnect the battery and retest to see if the engine light comes back on. If the light stays off, then the prong was the issue. If the engine light comes back on, then there could be an issue with the ground or the harness. Check both ends of the harness before replacing it. I recommend having a professional, preferably a YourMechanic professional to help you with your vehicle.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr