Q: the lights on my dash board do not work and my gas gauge always says its empty with the gas light on even though i fill up my tank

My boyfriend tried installing a stereo in the car and thats when the lights on the dash stopped lighting up. With the gas gauge we replaced the fuel pump and after that the gas gauge always reads empty and the gas light is always on even when i fill up my tank.
My car's mileage is 177000 miles.

Electrical components are not working Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi. It sounds like your instrument panel cluster or IPC needs to be rebuilt or replaced. Over time, the bulbs eventually burn out as do the bulbs in your lights at home. The gauge’s movement is controlled by an electronic stepper motor that receives input from the sensors. More often than not, the signals are good, but the stepper motor no longer moves. This can be checked with the use of a high end scan tool that has functional testing of each gauge within the IPC. If the needle doesn’t move when commanded, then the stepper motor is bad. Consequently, if the needles don’t move when commanded, the sensor or wiring is bad.

I suggest having a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, inspect the electrical components in your vehicle to see what is occurring.