Q: Why is my minivan going into "limp mode"?

asked by on February 24, 2017

I was getting off the freeway, and at a stoplight a few days ago when out of nowhere my check engine light, my caution light, and my VSA lights all came on at once. The van started idling funny. When the light turned, and I began moving, I realized that my car had virtually no power upon acceleration. Seemed like it had more air than anything. I cruised on the hazards all the way home. We checked the manual at home which said that was in limp mode. I turned car off for a few. When I turned it back on, I drove about 500 feet down the block and all lights came back on and it acted the same way. It has since been parked. What happened???

Hi there. There are many things in your vehicle that will contribute to a limp mode. The engine is putting out too much or too little emissions, the transmission is not working properly, or the brake system could have failed. Check the engine’s computer and see if there is any codes. This will give you a location of troubleshooting on your vehicle. The VSA light is on for the vehicle stability assist that keeps the tires and brakes working to help control the vehicle in different road conditions and weather conditions. If you need further assistance with your vehicle being in limp mode, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.